Selling your Northern Virginia home in winter comes with its own needs. Buyers and buyers agent know that motivated seller will be in the market to sell during harsh winter weather. Being vacant adds additional weight for the buyer to feel the seller is desperate to sell.
So how do you maximize on your home while selling in slow & gloomy winter weather months.
1. Buy Floor Lamps– If the bedrooms don’t have lights please please please place some lights in the rooms. So prospect buyers can see the room even in the winter darkness.
2. Leave the Front light ON– I have a small flashlight along with my lock box key so that I can go up to the front door and open the lock box for the buyers. If your street is pitch dark leave your front door lights and lights near the garage ON all the time. Apart from that invest in small pathway solar lights along your walk way. It adds ambiance plus helps potential buyer see the path leading to your door.
3. Clean the walk ways– With drop in over night temperature the fallen leaves from the trees can cause a slipper driveway and walk way. Rake or clear the walk way for any accidents. If icy or snow condition hire someone to clean the walk ways. Don’t create a challenge path for buyers to get through your front door.
4. Set Right Temperature- With bone chilly weather we have this winter last thing potential buyer wants to do is walk in and out of the home. Honestly even the REO /foreclosure properties now have temperature set to make the buyer feel warm and cozy in the house. Don’t be frugal and leave the temperature on your thermostat very low.
5. Fragrances- Please do not over do with plugins or fragrances. Since the home is vacant and closed it can over power the smell in the home. Few buyers have complaint they get headaches after this strong fragrance smell.
On a side note: Do leave a roll of toilet paper roll & soap along with roll of paper towel.